Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun (WizKid)

WizKid.      www.adrianpastol.com

Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun (born July 16, 1990), known by his stage name Wizkid (sometimes stylized WizKid, Wizzy), is a Nigerian recording artist, songwriter, performer, and brand ambassador for Pepsi and MTN Nigeria. He rose to prominence with his song "Holla at Your Boy". In 2009, he got signed to Banky W's label imprint, Empire Mates Entertainment. His work and contributions to the Nigerian Music Industry has earned him several achievements, including a BET Awards, a MOBO Awards from two nominations, a Channel O Music Video Awards from six nominations, three Nigeria Entertainment Awards from eleven nominations, a Ghana Music Awards from two nominations, two Dynamix All Youth Awards from three nominations, two City People Entertainment Awards from 4 nominations, and a Future Awards among others. In addition, he has been nominated three times at the MTV Europe Music Awards as well as two times at the World Music Awards. He was ranked 5th on Forbes and Channel O's 2013 list of the Top 10 Richest/Bankable African Artistes.

Wizkid was born on July 16, 1990 in Surulere, a residential and commercial area of Lagos, Nigeria. He comes from a large family and is the last of six children. In an interview with Tim Westwood, he stated that his father has three wives. Wizkid started singing at age 11; he sang in his church's choir and released a 7 track album titled Lil Prinz. His first song featured one of Nigeria's celebrated musical icons, OJB Jezreel. Moreover, in 2006, he collaborated with Naeto C and Ikechukwu prior to rising to stardom. In 2009, Wizkid became a household name within Nigeria's musical landscape; he was featured on M.I's "Fast Money, Fast Cars", and Kel's "Turn by Turn". Wizkid was also featured on Banky W's album, The W Experience, after getting signed to Empire Mates Entertainment.
During an interview with Adesope of Factory 78 TV, Wizkid described his life in a nutshell. He said:
It all started for me when I was eleven years old. It started in church for me. I've always been a church boy. I didn't like the choir; I never wanted to be part of the choir. Then I like rap. I called a couple of my friends then in church. It was three of us. We should come together and form a group called 'Glorious Five'. We started it then and dropped an album. After that, I met with OJB and when I met him, he allowed me come to the studio more often. I was just that kid around. I watched 2 face record Grass 2 Grace and watched Sound Sultan record Jagbajantis. I watched them record their biggest hits. For a year, I was always going to the studio but never recorded. After that time, he gave me an opportunity to record one song. He didn't allow me record because he wanted me to be better. When you have that hunger to record, you just keep getting better. When I recorded my first song, I recorded it in Surulere. I dropped it in the hood and everybody was just popping to it asking who's this guy? Most of my friends were older than I was so It was hard for me breaking into the industry. I met Naeto C when I was 15 and then I used to write and tell him Naeto, listen to this. He used to tell me 'change this, you will sound more real.' I've always been around music. Music has always been my thing. Later on, I met my manager 5 years ago. After that, things started happening. M.I came to Lagos. We met and became friends. I went to M.I's house and he told me, 'Wizzy, I have this beat', listen to it." I listened to it for 10 seconds and told him give me the mic. Before I knew it, everyone told me I love this song.
 WizKid, so young in age but is already celebrated the world over. His story teaches us that age is no barrier. I DARE YOU TO BE
Feautured extracts from wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over 60 hot small businesses you can start with less than N50, 000(naira)/about $320(dollars)

LIST OF GOOD RECRUITMENT AGENCIES IN LAGOS

CULTISM IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES

HAVE YOU READ THESE?